9501 W. 144th Place, Suite 205, Orland Park, IL 60462
Call Us708-448-8141
Sosin, Arnold & Schoenbeck Ltd.
9501 W. 144th Place, Suite 205, Orland Park, IL 60462
Call Us708-448-8141

Rezoning, Special Use Permits, and Variances in Northern Illinois

Illinois Rezoning, Special Use, and Variances Lawyers

Illinois Land Use Attorneys

At Sosin, Arnold & Schoenbeck Ltd., our attorneys regularly represent property owners, developers, and other parties in obtaining zoning entitlements from governmental entities. We also help our clients in developing easements, covenants, and other solutions customized to meet their development and property management needs.

For more than 35 years, the team at Sosin, Arnold & Schoenbeck Ltd. has represented private and commercial property owners in proceedings with local government organizations throughout Illinois, including Will County, DuPage County, and Cook County. With our experience and familiarity with the law, we help our clients understand the importance of complying with existing zoning and land use regulations. We also realize that in many cases, a party's intended use of a particular property may require special consideration before he or she may proceed with the project.

Special Use Permits and Variances

To a person who has never dealt with real estate and land use laws before, special use permits and variances may seem very similar. While they do share some similarities, they are used for very distinct purposes. A special use permit may be granted upon a showing by the property owner that his or her intentions for the property are appropriate and compatible with the property's current zoning status. Most properties are zoned to include the possibility of certain special uses, and it is up to the property owner to show that the project in question meets the established criteria.

A variance is different from a special use permit in that a variance is required when a local ordinance or the existing zoning status does not allow for the property owner's intended use or plan to build a particular structure in the manner in which the owner wishes to build it. In most cases, a property owner must show hardship to obtain a variance. At Sosin, Arnold & Schoenbeck Ltd., we can help you determine if your situation requires a special use permit, variances, or both.

Rezoning Considerations

If a special use permit is not appropriate and a variance will not meet your needs, your remaining option may be to seek a rezoning of the property in question. Our experienced attorneys are prepared to work hard on your behalf in petitioning the local government to consider your request. Rezoning is a complex matter that often requires public hearings in addition to approval from the municipal planning commission and city council or board of trustees. We handle all aspects of zoning concerns and can help you draft the necessary documentation for your request.

Contact Attorneys David B. Sosin and George J. Arnold, II for guidance with your rezoning, special use, or variance needs. Call 708-448-8141 or contact us online for an appointment.

Illinois State Bar Association Justinian Society of Lawyers Illinois Bar Foundation Southwest Bar Association
Back to Top